New Titles for 2015 Coming Soon!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Christmas Mourning by Margaret Maron

A Mysterious Mystery...

Christmas Mourning is definitely for readers familiar with Margaret's writings. Being a newbie to her work I was assailed with unfamiliar characters on nearly every page. Overwhelmed I became lost, wandering amidst the mystery.

Margaret uses lots of details and background information that fills your mind as the story moves along. A bit too heavy for my personal preference. I found it distracting to the focus of solving the mystery. Perhaps that was all part of her plan. The last few chapters, more focused on crime solving, made it easier to follow.

Put on your puzzling caps. Christmas Mourning will challenge your skills.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had trouble following the story. That's why I always include a family tree if the family is important. But the person who responded that you need to read earlier books is mistaken. I'm told it makes for a richer experience, but really, you do NOT have to keep every name straight. I identify as "nieces and nephews" and that's all anyone actually needs to know. If you looked at the family tree, you got a warning that it's a big family; and when they all came over to bake cookies, I guess it did make you feel as if you'd walked in on a party that had been going much too long, so your comments are quite fair. On the other hand, lots of clues were dropped into that chapter, so I guess it's what you lose on the roundabout, you make up for on the swings.

If you really want to get up to speed on my books, I think SLOW DOLLAR would probably work best.

Sincerely,
Margaret Maron